Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Migraine

Warning... this may be totally boring for you today... ok, is that really different from any other day??
Today had such potential, and then… the migraine hit. So early in the day too- right around 8:45am. Now, if you’ve never had a classic migraine before, here’s how mine usually go…


I usually start feeling out perfectly fine. But, I gradually notice that things start to get harder and harder to read… almost like a blind-spot form staring at a bright light for too long, but the edges aren’t defined as well.

Then, the blind-spot slowly turns into an aura. For me, the aura looks kind of like I’m looking through a black & white kaleidoscope. I get a spot of moving zig-zaggy lines that start off quite small, and eventually covers most of my field of vision. Usually, on one side of the lines, I have the blind-spot effect, and on the other side I can see just fine.

So, if this is what a normal field of view looks like for me:

Then this is kind of what it looks like when I’ve got an aura:
My aura usually lasts 15-30 minutes. Then, it goes away just as suddenly as it came, and within about 5-10 minutes the pain & light sensitivity hits. Often, I end up in bed the rest of the day when this happens.

Today, I took 3 Tylenol & drank a can of Diet Coke*, and thank goodness, I’ve had no pain! Woo-hoo! I have felt slightly dizzy & nauseous though. But still, I’m counting what blessings I have.

Speaking of blessings, Mike is having his 4th interview today for a position I think he’d be great at. I won’t go into more detail than that right now. I don’t want to jynx anything! So, cross your fingers & say a prayer for us. I’ll let you know how it goes when we find out more.

*PS.  I am NOT a dr, this is NOT medical advice.  If you think you're having a migraine, and want to know how to treat it, consult a doctor for heaven's sake!  Don't listen to the ramblings of a 31 year old blogger!!

No comments:

Post a Comment