Friday, July 2, 2010

Strawberry-Rhubarb Pie

Yum!  I don't know what the deal is this year, but I've been craving some Strawberry-Rhubarb Pie.  I had never made it myself before this summer, and I had only ever eaten it once before, back in highschool... 10+ years ago! 
I used this recipe, at the Food Network, and altered it to fit my needs... Here are the changes I made:
1.  I used Jiffy Pie Crust Mix... the kind that comes in a box and all you add is water.  I know- what a cheat!
2.  This time around, my rhubarb was not fresh, although for my 1st pie it was.  I'll let you know if I notice a difference, but right now, the pie is still baking!
3.  Minute Tapioca??  What the heck is that??  Nevermind.  Per the suggestions at the bottom of the recipe, I substituted 6 Tbsp of Corn Starch, and the 1st pie held together beautifully.  Like I said... 2nd pie is still baking, but I don't think there should be an issue.
4.  I don't have any large granule white sugar.  I have Large Granule Red & White Sugar, for Valentine's Day Cookies, and Regular White Granule Sugar, but no Large Granule White Sugar.  So, on the first pie, we it looked like a Valentine Pie.  It was kind of odd eating it (although it tasted great!).  This time we're trying just regular sugar. 

PS... Apologies for the last 2 pictures... I'm still learning the settings on my camera!!
PPS...Totally forgot I was boiling pasta while typing this!!! Good thing I went & checked on this pie!

No comments:

Post a Comment